TD F 90-22.1 IRS Form

As I mentioned in my post Will Osama bin Laden’s death change expat’s day to day? one of the things you must do as an expat is to declare your non-US assets. NOTE: I am NOT acting as advisor here, just providing information as a fellow expat, so please consult professionals on this matter. Here’s what I have learned:

Complete the relatively straightforward TD F 90-22.1 IRS Form (with instructions included) and send it to: 

U.S. Department of the Treasury
P.O. Box 32621
Detroit, MI 48232-0621

You do not file and/or send with your US Income Tax, send it to the address above. They are due physically at the Treasury no later than 30 June every year (not postmarked by).

You must list accounts if all your FOREIGN bank accounts totalled US$10,000 at any one time during the year both for accounts for which you are the owner or joint owner and accounts over which you have authority to conduct transactions on behalf of the account owner. This includes things like personal retirement funds, life insurance with cash values, trusts, property and other securities (consult a professional for yours).

US bank accounts are not listed.

For further information or instructions, please contact either the IRS or your accountant. Here are some helpful links as well:

This entry was posted in Resources and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

What do you think? Comment here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s